We work hard and learn hard at De Hoop
The core values on which the Academics at De Hoop Primary are built, can be summed up in the words of two wise men:
The dalai lama, who said, “When educating the minds of our youth, we must not forget to educate their hearts” and Nelson Mandela, who said, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
- Each of our dedicated teachers is passionate about making learning an interactive adventure for the children entrusted to her. In a caring learning environment children can feel safe and secure, included and comfortable enough to develop to their full potential.
- Our academic focus is to provide our learners with sufficient opportunities to build a solid, broad foundation in each of the core subjects, being English or Afrikaans Home Language, Maths, First Additional Language and Life Skills. With this in mind, learners have ample opportunity to explore, understand and master their basic skills. We focus on thinking and reasoning which lead to understanding rather than just memorising and this leads to learners being challenged rather than merely learning by rote.
- Both Maths and Language are taught in small groups, which provides each learner with more individual attention. During these lessons the learners are encouraged to explore, understand and master various concepts through problem solving and critical thinking. Our class assistants and interns add invaluable support, both in the class and with the small groups.
- Regular, continuous assessment takes place throughout the year and this helps to monitor how each learner's progress. It also helps to identify learners who would benefit from additional support. Extra support programmes provide learners with small-group didactic lessons in both English or Afrikaans Home Language and Maths. Our on-site remedial teacher also provides support for learners who require one-to-one assistance.
Intermediate and Senior Phase
- At De Hoop we educate the child in his entirety. Self-respect, integrity, tolerance, resilience and a good work ethic are built into the everyday academics in our school.
- Academic success goes hand in hand with compassion and empathy for one’s community and leaving one’s mark for generations to come.
- Learning at De Hoop is an integrative process where ideas and knowledge are shared and enquiring minds are encouraged.
- Social skills are integrated into the learning environment, and the development of emotional intelligence is given top priority.
- At De Hoop, learning brings connectivity between staff and learners as we strive together to maintain excellence in all aspects of the curriculum.
In our user-friendly media centre, there are plenty of books and computers at our disposal for research projects.
We also learn how to gather, process and present information.
We have a modern, upgraded computer centre which is run by a professional person who makes sure that we are kept up to date with fast-changing technology.